|Industry|| Data Science |
|Headquarters||California, United States|
|Key people|| Rob Mee (CEO) |
Bill Cook (President & COO)
Scott Yara (President and Head of Products)
Paul Maritz (Executive Chairman of the Board) 
|Investors||EMC, Ford Motor Company, GE, Microsoft and VMware.|
|Number of employees||1700+|
|Related Certifications||Certificate in Data Science Industry Overview|
Pivotal is a software company that provides digital transformation technology and services. Headquartered in California, United States, Pivotal also owns Pivotal Labs, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Pivotal Big Data Suite and Pivotal Data Science. It was formed in 2012 after spinning out of EMC Corporation.
Pivotal helps in building a platform where enterprises build big data analytics apps for cloud-like infrastructures. It provides a variety of data management products, application development tools and analytics intelligence platforms, all of which can run on a customer's premises, or in a variety of public clouds.
On the applications front, Pivotal uses the Spring Framework to help customers create Java applications. On the data side, EMC's Greenplum data storage system has been integrated with Hadoop, and to make these applications run in cloud environments, Pivotal has the open source Cloud Foundry application development project. 
Over the years it has received funding of around $863 million backed by companies like EMC, Ford Motor Company, GE, Microsoft and VMware. Its customers include Bakrie Telecom, China CITIC Bank,CoreLogic,Hulu,Humana,Indian Railways,Philips,SBI Securities,Southwest Airlines,Sundance Institute,Tranquilidade,WGSN Group etc
Pivotal Cloud Foundry
PCF helps to deliver a modern application development and operations environment that lets the developers focus on generating value for customers. It offers the developers a production-ready application container runtime and fully automated service deployments.  The three major transforms they tend to bring to their customers :
- How developers deploy software and consume services
- How operators install software and deploy services
- How the world connects and secures software
PCF Dev is a small distribution of Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF) that is intended to be run locally on a developer machine. The essential elements of the Pivotal Cloud Foundry experience are delivered quickly through a condensed set of components.
Pivotal Big Data Suite
Pivotal Big Data Suite enables companies to store all data, accelerate processing and most importantly increase the amount of data being analyzed and operationalized within the business and create actionable insights.
- It supports Modern Data Architectures - It can be deployed on-premise and in public clouds, and contains all the elements for batch and streaming analytics architectures.
- Supports Open Standards - It is compatible with distributions of ODPi versions of Hadoop. All components are distributions of open source projects
- Supports Data Architecture Evolution - It is a one to three year subscription to Pivotal’s portfolio of big data products.It is core-based and one can choose any size capacity to deploy. Cores can be allocated among products for the duration of the subscription.
Pivotal Greenplum is an advanced, fully featured, open source data warehouse. It provides powerful and rapid analytics on petabyte scale data volumes. Uniquely geared toward big data analytics, Greenplum is powered by the world’s most advanced cost-based query optimizer delivering high analytical query performance on large data volumes.
Hadoop Native SQL with Pivotal HDB, powered by Apache HAWQ (incubating), represents a new generation of high performance, advanced analytics and machine learning that transforms Hadoop into an enterprise analytical database. It helps to move and analyze entire workloads, while simplifying management and expanding the breadth of data access and analytics, all natively in Hadoop.
Pivotal GemFire is often employed to provide enterprise-wide caching of application data, spanning multiple clouds or data centers. It provides Elastic In-Memory Computing ( involves computation-intensive processing of large volumes of data with extremely high output and response requirements) , Real-Time Transactional Applications at Scale ( applications that need to provide real-time responses and maintain consistency of data while processing many parallel transactions, often with high availability) and Elastic Stream Processing (Stores and processes data from incoming variable at high-velocity streams).
- 2012 - Pivotal was founded
- 2013 - GE Puts $105M Into Pivotal, The New EMC And VMware Platform Initiative and Pivotal Buys Xtreme Labs for $65 Million in Cash
- 2014 - Pivotal Expands Its Enterprise Cloud Platform To Mobile
- 2015 - Ford teams with Pivotal, bets on Cloud Foundry and Pivotal Buys CloudCredo to Stake Bigger Claim in Europe
- 2016 - Pivotal buys UX design firm Slice of Lime and picks up Singaporean web development shop Neo Innovation
- May 2016 - Pivotal scores $253 million Series C led by Ford on $2.8 billion valuation
Top 5 Recent Tweets
|November 26, 2020||katykennedy||@LectCol @mom @Pivotal @states @covid This film is utterly exploitative and angered me beyond reason. This woman is… https://t.co/CmOoIvnScR|
|November 24, 2020||PropertyTV_io||#LIVE Hayden Ashton and Tom Egan are talking Everything Property with David Chehade from @REIFinance now! Tune in… https://t.co/gWVyiuc5Qh|
|November 24, 2020||PropertyTV_io||Tonight on Everything Property By @Pivotal Homes, Hayden Ashton and Tom Egan are joined by David Chehade from… https://t.co/3FHTaDK4BA|
|November 23, 2020||starbuxman||Happy happy birthday to @pivotal @vmware and @springboot legend @madhurabhave23 !|
Top 5 Recent News Headlines
- Why Ford And Microsoft Are Betting On Pivotal Software At A $2.8 Billion Valuation - Ford announced it had led a $253 million investment in Pivotal Software, joined by Microsoft, in a deal that values the EMC and VMware spin-out at $2.8 billion. 
- Research and Markets - Ford Invests $182 Million in Cloud-based Company Pivotal Software - Car manufacturers continue to invest and partner with technology companies as the demand for cloud-based services and connected cars increases. Ford announced an investment of $182.2 million in Pivotal Software. As part of the deal, Ford and Pivotal engineers will work together in labs in the United States and Europe. 
- Hortonworks and Pivotal Expand Relationship to Deliver Enterprise-Ready Modern Data Platforms for Data Management and Analytics - This strategic relationship brings together Hortonworks' expertise and support for data management and processing with Pivotal's top analytics engine for Apache® Hadoop. 
- Pivotal picks up Singaporean web development shop Neo Innovation - Pivotal, this week, made its third strategic purchase in two months and picked up a Singaporean web development studio called Neo Innovation Inc. that caters to large enterprises. 
- Pivotal Buys CloudCredo to Stake Bigger Claim in Europe - Pivotal, the software company backed by EMC and VMware with an assist from General Electric, is buying CloudCredo, a long-time partner based in London.