|Headquarters||Palo Alto, CA|
|Key people|| Raymie Stata (CEO) |
David Chaiken (CTO)
Mike Maciag (COO)
Charles Wimmer (Head of Operations) 
|Investors||Northgate, Sequoia Capital, General Catalyst and Accel Partners|
|Number of employees||100+|
|Related Certifications||Certificate in Data Science Industry Overview|
Altiscale is a Hadoop-as-a-Service startup founded by ex-Yahoo CTO Raymie Stata designed to free users from the complexities of deploying, managing, and scaling a big data platform. Altiscale Data Cloud is targeted at businesses that lack the technical staff and infrastructure to manage Hadoop on their own.
Altiscale Data Cloud is the first cloud service purpose-built to run Apache Hadoop. They offer an on-demand, elastic solution on a pay-as-you-go basis. They manage, fix, patch and update the platform and also monitor jobs and notify if needed. It replaces more complex, expensive alternatives that require heavy IT involvement. It allows business users to access and analyze data themselves using familiar business intelligence (BI) tools such as Microsoft Excel and tools from Tableau Software.  Altiscale operates its own hardware, selected and configured for the demands of Hadoop. Features include Hadoop data and compute that’s always on and available, and a patent-pending auto-elasticity that continuously monitors data and job usage to provide exactly the capacity the company need. 
Its recent collaboration with Tableau Software would bring the visual agility of Tableau to Altiscale customers at a time when enterprises are increasingly turning to Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark as a means of storing and analyzing their data, both structured and unstructured. The company has raised around $42M backed by investors like Northgate, Sequoia Capital, General Catalyst and Accel Partners.
Altiscale has Altiscale Data Cloud and Altiscale Insight Cloud services, which it provides as a part of its Big data as a Service product.
Altiscale Data Cloud
Altiscale Data Cloud is a fully managed big data platform, delivering instant access to production-ready Hadoop and Spark on the world’s best big data infrastructure. Its hardware, networking, and software have all been configured for speed and reliability and is optimized for ease of use, scalability, and performance.
Altiscale Insight Cloud
Altiscale Insight Cloud replaces more complex, expensive alternatives that require heavy IT involvement. It allows business users to access and analyze data themselves using familiar business intelligence (BI) tools such as Microsoft Excel and tools from Tableau Software. Insight Cloud achieves its speed and simplicity through a converged architecture, eliminating the need for a separate relational data store for aggregated data. This reduces the cost and management burden on the organization, while allowing easier scalability from tens of terabytes to petabytes. The converged architecture also minimizes data movement and replication across environments. 
- 2012 - Altiscale was founded.
- 2014 - With money from Sequoia snd General Catalyst, Yahoo’s former CTO debuts Altiscale to run Hadoop as a service in the cloud and raises $30M to continue building Hadoop Cloud Service
- 2015 - Former Jive CEO Tony Zingale joins the Altiscale board
- 2016 - Altiscale teams up with Tableau Software to simplify big data analysis
Top 5 Recent Tweets
|March 07, 2018||ResearchAIT||A distribution = a package of OS s/w that comes with an interoperability guarantee. AWS, the 1st IaaS, is actually… https://t.co/ybRoJ2Jto0|
Top 5 Recent News Headlines
- Altiscale Announces Support for Apache Spark 2.0 - Altiscale keeps Spark-as-a-Service customers on the leading edge with beta availability of Spark 2.0 on the Altiscale Data Cloud. 
- Altiscale Announces Altiscale Insight Cloud Real-Time Edition - Latest offering provides a fast, affordable solution for streaming Big Data analytics, applicable to use cases such as IoT, recommendations, and automated alerts. 
- Altiscale teams up with Tableau Software to simplify Big Data analysis - The two companies have just announced a strategic partnership they say will “bring the visual agility of Tableau to Altiscale customers” at a time when enterprises are increasingly turning to Apache Hadoop and Apache Spark as a means of storing and analyzing their data, both structured and unstructured. 
- Altiscale to Discuss Data-Driven Business Transformation at 2016 Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM) Conference - Altiscale's CTO, David Chaiken, will join industry experts to discuss how to fully realize the business value of a data-driven culture at the 9th ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining (WSDM) in San Francisco. 
- Altiscale's Big Data as a Service Frees Customers to Focus on Analytics - Altiscale performs that heavy lifting, offering customers “big data as a service” through a fully managed, cloud-based solution.