|Founder|| Michael Stonebraker |
Lawrence A. Rowe
|Headquarters|| Suite 200 |
Redwood City,California 94063
|Key people|| Steve Shine(CEO) |
|Products|| Vector in Hadoop|
OpenROAD-4GL App Development
|Revenue||$188.515 Million(2015) |
|Number of employees||458|
|Related Certifications||Certificate in Data Science Industry Overview|
Actian Corporation is a software company that operates as an enterprise grade structured query language (SQL) analytics platform. It provides the Actian Analytics platform, a platform that accelerates the analytics value chain from connecting massive amounts of raw big data and delivering actionable business value. It provides solutions for financial services, healthcare, customer analytics, digital media, government, retail, SaaS, software, and oil based companies.
The core objective of Actian Corporation is to transform big data into business value. It is empowering various companies to connect to data, analyze it, take action according to customer's viewpoint, gain a competitive advantage, manage risks, and find new sources of income. The company uses off-the-shelf hardware to enhance performance. Actian Corporation makes Hadoop enterprise grade by providing ELT, visual design, and SQL analytics on Hadoop. The company also claims that with Actian vector in Hadoop, they have delivered the world's first end-to-end analytics platform built to run 100 percent natively in Hadoop.
Products And Solutions
The company uses products such as Vector in Hadoop, Matrix, Relational Ingres, Object Versant, PSQL, and 4GL OpenRoad Development, which provides quick access to data, analyzes it, and transforms it into business analytics. Actian Vector is a proven relational database management system which has been extended to bring high-performance data analytics to Hadoop. Ingres is a relational database management system (RDBMS) that evolved from a research project at the University of California at Berkeley in the 1970s. There are two different versions of Ingres: a public domain version known as University Ingres or Berkeley Ingres, and a commercial version currently marketed by Computer Associates, known as OpenIngres, CA-OpenIngres, and Ingres II. OpenROAD is a database-centric, object-oriented, 4GL application development tool that lets you develop and deploy mission-critical, n-tier business applications in a variety of environments.  Designed to manage complex object structures and relationships using the well-established Java programming standard, Versant JPA provides a foundation for real-time analytics with very large data sets by connecting to Versant’s high performance database. 
- High performance full loads with continuous change data capture.
- “Click-2-Replicate” graphical user interface for designing and monitoring replication tasks.
- Automatic schema generation and implementation of metadata changes on the target.
- Transparent data type transformations between source and target.
- Integrated change audit trail option with all change events that is easily retrieved for access auditing and security.
- In 2013, Pervasive Software Inc. Investor Files Lawsuit Against Proposed Takeover By Actian Corporation : Pervasive Software Inc. announced that it has entered into an agreement to be acquired by an affiliate of Actian Corporation in a transaction with a total value of approximately $161.9 million. Under the terms of the agreement, Pervasive’s stockholders will receive $9.20 in cash for each share of Pervasive stock they hold. 
Actian Corporation, formerly known as Ingres Corporation, was founded by Michael Stonebraker, Eugene Wong, and Lawrence A. Rowe. The company was founded in 1980 and is based in Redwood City, California with various headquarters all over the world. The company is a former subsidiary of the Ask Group, Inc. Ask Computer Systems announced a deal in September 1990, in which Ask would acquire Ingres. Although the deal was met with resistance by shareholders, it was completed In September 2011. Ingres acquired the VectorWise technology in 2010. Ingres switched to its current name in September 2011. Actian acquired ParAccel in April 2013. In February 2014, Forbes.com listed Actian as #5 in its top "Big Data Pure-Plays", citing a revenue of $138 million in 2013. Currently, Steve Shine is serving as the CEO and President of the company.
Top 5 Recent Tweets
|March 19, 2018||waltermaguire||Actian said to be outperforming Amazon Redshift - App Developer Magazine https://t.co/DrnjVYtgsz https://t.co/weOO3hFnlP|
|March 19, 2018||CrisIanculovici||.@ActianCorp #EnterpriseAccess 3.0 Patch 15290 for @IBM #AIX Has been released and is available for download on ESD… https://t.co/YvyHmB7ncE|
|March 19, 2018||CrisIanculovici||Actian Vector proves to be over 9x faster that Microsoft SQL Server, according to benchmark by @mcknightconsult. Se… https://t.co/R21zwRdJ7X|
|March 19, 2018||ActianAlex||Actian says to be outperforming Amazon Redshift - App Developer Magazine https://t.co/oM1eFIpMk0 https://t.co/yc4VoV7Pod|
|March 19, 2018||keithbolam||Actian Vector independently found to be 20x faster than Snowflaje on equivalent Hardware. https://t.co/hr0SqDqoMG|
Top 5 Lifetime Tweets
Top 5 Recent News Headlines
- Actian to offer Actian Analytics on Microsoft Azure- 31 March,2016: Through collaboration with Microsoft Corp., Actian will make the performance of Actian Matrix and VectorH available for rapid deployment on the Microsoft Azure cloud platform.
- Actian Corporation appoints Tony Kavanagh as Chief Marketing Officer- 23 March,2016: Actian Corporation announced Tony Kavanagh has joined Actian as Chief Marketing Officer. Tony will lead all marketing functions, globally. He will be working with the executive team to position Actian as the market leader in data management, integration and big data analytics.
- Actian Corporation Presents at The Montgomery Summit- 9 March,2016 :Actian Corporation Presents at The Montgomery Summit, Mar-09-2016 11:30 AM. Venue: Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, 101 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica, CA 90401, United States. Speakers: Steven R. Springsteel, Chief Financial Officer.
- Actian to present at 28th Annual Roth Capital Parterns Conference- 3 March,2016: Steven Springsteel, Chief Financial Officer,of Actian Corporation announced the 28th Annual Roth Conference to be held March 13-16,2016,at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in Dana Point California.Investors along with Analysts and portfolio managers were invited.
- Actian Recruits Brad Crosby to expand its executive leadership- 9 Feb,2016 :Brad Crosby has been hired to lead the Data Management and Integration (DMI) division as general manager.